Saturday, August 9, 2008

Welcome Aboard!

Hello friends, family, acquaintances, fans, and reading-voyeurs,

Surprise, surprise, another blog enters the blogosphere. As you can see in my profile, I make no promises how updated this blog will be, but here's hoping. "The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray, and leave us not but grief and pain for promised joy. Well, hopefully my potential sporadic updates (or complete lack of them) won't leave you with grief and pain, and I cannot promise you joy with every post. What I CAN offer you is that I will be *me* in these entries.

So, where to start? I'd rather not start off with the traditional "I was born in..." exposition. Zzzzz... Details of my youth, history, interests, etc will hopefully come out in more unique ways, organically, as I (hopefully) write new entries.

Brief aside here- just because I have a blog and a Twitter, by NO means should indicate that I am at all web-savvy when it comes to the bells and whistles of these here Interwebs. I will try to post pictures, art, etc where I can...when I can figure out how.

Second aside - this is intended more as my "professional" blog. You won't find much in the way of personal info here as I tend to keep that stuff off the web. instead, this is to update my experiences in the world of comics, writing, and wherever this crazy path of life is taking me on professionally. That said, I'm not above raving or ranting about current novels, movies, or TV shows. But don't look for too many rants, you never know who is reading and when/if you may meet them in person. I'd rather not get slapped by anyone from the "cast" of The Hills because I ranted about that show (for the record, never seen an episode).

Back on topic. Work. I work in Marketing/PR/Conventions/"other duties as assigned" at Marvel Comics. Yes, it is my dream company. No, cannot believe I work there (and I just celebrated my 4th year there-- it still amazes me). Yes, I do know how lucky I am. Convention season is mostly over and it is sort of bittersweet. On one hand, I never sleep, eat, or stop moving when at a convention, so it is exhausting. But on the other (much bigger) hand, I absolutely love everything else about it. From the thrill of making a great announcement on a panel and hearing the crowd applaud, to meeting fans one-on-one (without them, no one in comics would have a job), to seeing friends from around the world who work in comics too. Thanks to FedEx and the Internet, people can work in this industry from anywhere in the world, which is great. But it means you really only see them a few times a year. One of the greatest things about this industry is that I have been lucky to make some true friends over the years. Anyone who has seen a Marvel panel should know that we are HUGE goof-offs; joking around with each other, snarky (in a good natured way), and genuinely happy to be together. That's exactly how we are OFF the panel too. Some call me the happiest man in comics. I don't know if I can claim that superlative (Dan Slott's pretty darn jolly, too), but I can say that I am the happiest I have been BECAUSE I work in comics.

(Third aside - I had the Olympics on in the background on the USA network while writing this. At some point, they ended and "Psych" came on. I am convinced I just saw the same cave set used in Smallville and the same woods that Mulder and Scully trekked thru in X-Files. Makes me wish TV had a shared universe where all of these characters ran from place to place, encountering each other. I would never turn off the television...)

Obvious personal fact you should have gathered by now: I am very easily distracted. Another fact - I am obsessed with television.

I know I have far more to say, but this is the beginning. I have to leave something for people to come back to. And there's plenty! From my history in soap operas, to my present job, to writing my first full comic script, to trying to dance between the raindrops of talking about my new project that I can't really talk too much about. Speaking of, I should run spellcheck on this entry and publish it so I can stop procrastinating (which, truth be absolutely told, was the genesis of this blog- procrastination) and get back to a more necessary form of procrastinating: research!

Until next time, KEEP READING!

Jim

7 comments:

David Gallaher said...

Welcome Jim!

Deadpool said...

Look forward to reading the blog Jim.

Jeff said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! Hope this doesn't mean you'll be Tweeting less.

BRIAN REED said...

Dude... get to work. ;)

Unknown said...

Welcome to blogging. Looking forward to finding out what your new project is.

HumphreyLee said...

I wish I could actually make a cool format for my blog. Of course, I wish I could just make a cool blog. Stupid inability to say anything worth reading!!

=)

Looking forward to what you've got in store sir...

BobbyNash said...

Welcome, Jim. I'll see you at the October show in Nashville.

Bobby