Sunday, August 10, 2008

Research

Hello there! Why look, day two of the blog and I'm making my second entry. Nice start...

I'm not looking to post an incredibly long entry today (or at least right now), as I am eye-balls deep in research. But I wanted to talk a moment about that. One of the best bits of advice I ever got was to do all the research you can, but follow two rules - 1) know when to stop researching and start writing, and 2) never let your research show. Just because you learn a cool fact, don't jam it in there because it's so awesome you HAVE to show everyone how much you personally know or learned about a subject. If you are writing a thesis, fine, cite your references and write all about your findings. But if you are writing fiction, your research should be done to get to know your characters, not to brag that you did it.

Learn what you can about your characters. This doesn't just mean to know where they are from, how many siblings they have, and their favorite ice cream flavor (although those things help establish well-rounded characters as well). You should also try to learn as much about what THEY know as possible. This way, what they say and do will ring true to their experiences and their knowledge. Learn what they they would know, and let their experience and your research come out in their actions and, where appropriate (and in their voices, not in long-winded exposition) their dialog.

People can say what they will about Wikipedia, but it is at least a good place to start your research. You can use it as the Cliff's Notes version, but be sure to look at the related links or cited footnotes in the articles to get more info. Side note, if you are ever at a loss for ideas, check out the featured article of the day on their
home page. If you are still stumped, look to the left at the Navigation tab and click on"Random Article" a few times. I guarantee that eventually SOMETHING will pop up that will make you stop and want to read more about it (within 3 clicks just now, I got to The Blasphemy Act of 1698)

Personal side note - LOOK! I figured out how to insert links! One web-challenge down, hundreds to go...

Right now I am reading as much as I can about a variety of subjects- from what it takes to get a PhD (which I did not realize stood for Doctor of Philosophy until I started - thank you Bachelor's of Arts degree in Radio/TV/Film), certain scientific disciplines, Film Noir poster art, weapons used throughout the ages, and even the rules of centuries-old organizations. Talk about jumping around. My "Bookmark" section is getting a work out. As is my
Moleskine notebook. I can't stress this enough- when you read something, or hear something on TV or in a movie- write it down! You'll be amazed at how quickly just writing down something will switch your mind on and you'll find yourself writing that tidbit down from your character's point of view or at least how it applies to your story.

As a gift last Christmas, Joe Quesada gave us all in publishing Marvel-embossed Moleskine notebooks. In it was an amazing inscription: Some of the greatest creative minds and thinkers in the modern era have used Moleskine notebooks like this one for jotting down their thoughts and ideas. This Moleskine is dedicated to you and your next great idea. Thank you for an amazing 2007! Well, Joe, thank YOU. I can only hope that what I am filling this with is worthy to be called a great idea, or at least a good one.

Until next time,
KEEP READING!

- Jim

PS - so much for not posting an incredibly long entry! Ha! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to exercise Rule #1 of research and get some writing done!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,

Nice post...and not long at all, heh.

Anyways, I think you're right about the role that research plays in writing (as well as the pitfalls of "over researching"). I'm in research mode myself right now, and Wikipedia is a good place to get things started--I have no idea why some people are vehemently opposed to the Big W.

I look forward to reading your next post.