Monday, August 11, 2008

Get outta the way!!!

So, you know that research rule I talked about? Yeah, I am dangerously close to tripping over it. In my efforts to do this project justice and right, I am trying to serve many masters (the fans, my editor, myself, and many others who might be reading this upcoming project). In all honestly, the main master I need to serve is The Story. What is going to tell the best story?

I spent 2 hours this evening pouring over a decade's worth of issues trying to find the right moments, the right dialogue, the right references. A great deal of it probably has little to do with what will ultimately be the final result, and what does make it in will please some and set others into a tirade. How could I address this and not that? How could I leave out this minor reference on page 15 of issue blah blah?! Obviously, I will be a hack to some people. But that's just it- no matter what any of us do, there will be those who will find fault in it. Every work is flawed. If creative people kept working on something until it was so perfect that no one could complain, nothing would ever be finished.

I need to step back and stop looking at where these characters have been and look at where they are now, where they need to go, and what makes them the people they are. I also need to make sure that I am telling The Story I want to tell. Not in a possessive "this is MY story" way, but the Story I feel I can tell, what voice I bring to the table.

Basically, I need to get out of my own way and get to creating. For those who don't realize we are all in this industry out of love for the characters and the medium and will hate anything because they can only see the faults, go ahead and buy your tomatoes now. This way, if you don't like the story, they will be nice and rotten and prime for throwing when the story hits.

To the rest of you, thank you for enjoying and supporting.

Until next time,
KEEP READING!

- Jim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you need to stop watching Youtube at work...it's corrupting your creativity! lol.

wordballoon said...

go get 'em Jim!